SEARCH the Related FSW Canada Topics HERE!

18 December 2015

Canada Child Benefits (CCTB, UCCB): Our Application Experience as FSW

If you had just landed in Canada, you must be aware that there are benefits for your children under the age of 18.

During our first week in Toronto, we immediately sent the child benefits application.  It was helpful for us, especially when we don't have jobs yet to make our cash flow positive. There were many benefits that our child had received, given that our income was at the minimum.

In order for you to receive the corresponding benefit, you need to send an application to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Who should apply?
The one who's primarily in charge of upbringing and care of the child.  For us, even though we were not yet working during the application, we agreed that my wife will be the applicant. That is usually the case for new immigrant couples.

For the New Immigrants, let me show you the step by step procedure on how to apply for the child benefits.

STEP 1 (Gather the Documents)
Gather all documents to establish your relationship with your child.

1.  Marriage certificate (copy)
2.  Birth certificate (copy)
3.  Copies of the COPR (copy)

This will not be difficult for newcomers as we had all the documents with us upon landing.

Prepare your bank account details.  If CRA fails to send payment to your bank, the benefit will be paid to you by cheque.

STEP 2 (Print the Forms)
Print the necessary documents at the Canada Revenue Agency website as follows:

1. Canada Child Benefits Application RC66

2. Status in Canada / Statement of Income RC66SCH

Fill out the necessary details legibly.

STEP 3 (Sending the Application)
1. Place the documents and forms inside an envelope.
2. Mail the completed forms with the supporting documents to the province where you reside.

Click the province below for the mailing address.
Where to Mail the forms?
Go to the nearest Canada Post branch.  Before you click the link below, you must know your Zip Code (ex: J2M H2T)

The mail will be delivered to the CRA within 3 days.

STEP 3 (Wait for the Payment)
Once your application is complete and no additional documents needed from the CRA, you will now receive the Child Benefits through your bank account or by cheque.

CRA uses your application to determine if you are eligible for other child benefits.  So, you will receive payments from different branches of the government.

Don't forget to contact CRA if your status and personal information had changed.

If you have questions regarding my experience in this application, contact me at  I'll can help you as fast as I can.

Please tick the LIKE button below if this is helpful and Share to new immigrants as well.


  1. hi ben.. Is it OK to apply for the child benefits eventhough the child will just have a short landing..

  2. Hi Madel, a friend of mine applied the Child Benefit and sent her son to Philippines and ended up paying back the benefits to the government. Please go to the nearest Service Canada and ask them about it. Find it here...

    Service Canada Branch Finder

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Hi Ben, do you know if this applies to Student Visa holder with my husband having an open working visa? :) just wondering.

    However, I really want to know, if you can help me out as well, about the school fees of my children if my husband holds an open work visa because of my Student Permit. Will it be free (for publicly funded schools) or domestic student fees applies for private schools?

    Your answer is greatly appreciated

  5. Hi Sir,
    Thanks for this article. It's helpful to us as newbie here in Canada. We're on our 4th month now in Toronto and just recently filed the Child benefit :)
    My family like your case also came from Singapore.. I got one question , we declare our SG income for previous year, will it impact the monthly child benefit amount? Thanks in advance for some insights. God bless

    1. HI Tinz, yes it will definitely impact the amount of your child benefit because they will base it in the previous annual salary. BTW, please don't forget to file an income tax even if you have no income. Please check my new post for the upcoming Meet-up in Toronto.

  6. Hi Ben,

    I think this blog is pretty much useful!
    I am a holder of a multiple entry visa. Will it be safe for me to fly to Canada for job hunting?
    I hope you can give me some advice.

    Thanks and god bless.

    1. Hi Henry, first of all, you need a work permit to work in Canada. Employers also need an SIN in order for you to be accepted. I'm not discouraging you, you can try, but you need to know the consequence.


Ben Alagnam - MeMovingToCanada