SEARCH the Related FSW Canada Topics HERE!

17 July 2013

How Relatives Can Help Your FSW Application

Your relatives in Canada are your life savers once you arrive there.  They are the ones that can help you in case you need support, may it be financially or emotionally. They can also help you with your application for the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program.

How Can Relatives Help?
Canada FSW have a point system where they base the eligibility of the applicant.  This system is composed of different selection factors and one is the Adaptability.

In the Adaptability factor,  an applicant must have a relative living in Canada who is a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident and 18 years or older.

Your relative should be one of the following:
  • Grandparent
    • -  The parent of your mother or father
  • Parent
    • -  Your mother or father
  • Spouse
    • -  Your wife or husband
  • Child
    • -  Your son or daughter who is 18 years of age or older
  • Grandchild
    • - Your grandson or granddaughter who is 18 years of age or older
  • Siblings
    • - Your brother or sister who is a child of your parent (mother or father)
  • Uncle or Aunt
    • - The child of your grandmother or grandfather
  • Niece or Nephew
    • - The grandchild of your mother or father

If you have one of this relative, you can earn a maximum of points.

What are the Primary Documents Your Relatives Should Provide?
If your relative is a Permanent Resident, he or she needs to provide one of the following:
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence or
  • Permanent Residence Card
If a Canadian Citizen, your relative should provide one of the following:
  • Photo page of the Canadian Passport or
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
They also need to prove that they are living in Canada,  may include copies such as:
  • Lease Agreements
  • Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (latest)
  • Employment Letter confirming employment
  • First page of monthly bill, telephone bill, etc...
  • Credit card invoices and bank statements
This should show the full name and address of your relative and must be 6 months old from the date of your application.

How to Prove that you are Related?
To show the relationship between you and a relative in Canada, you should provide the applicable document such as:
Grandparent - Birth Certificate of your grandparent and your father or mother (the child of your grandparent)

Parent - Birth Certificate of your mother or father

Spouse - Marriage Certificate

Child - Birth Certificate or an Adaption certificate (if applicable).

Grandchild - Birth Certificate of your grandchild and parent (your child).

Siblings - Birth Certificate that shows your common mother or father's name.

Uncle and Aunt - Birth Certificate of your Uncle/Aunt and your parent (mother or father, his or her sibling)

Niece or Nephew - Birth Certificate of your Niece or Nephew and his or her parent (your sibling)

Where to Send the Documents?
I have a sister in Canada, she prepared the documents above and sent it through a registered mail. Although it was one of the best way of sending the documents, but I recommend that they can just scan each document in A4 size (jpeg or PDF) and send them through e-mail and print it yourself.

This is the quick way since Canada only wants the copy as of this moment of your application.  But, in case they ask for the original, the registered mail is quite feasible.

Aside from being cheaper than the DHL, Fedex or any other courier, sending by registered mail from a Canadian (Canada Post) to a Singaporean (SingPost) post offices are efficient and you can even trace the mail online.

It took 8 days of the document to arrive from Canada, which is not bad at all since I'm also preparing for some of my other documents.

The best thing to do now is call your relative about these requirements and ask them to send it to you as soon as possible.

You can let them read my blog.  If you or they have questions regarding these requirements, please feel free to leave a comment below.


  1. Hi Ben,

    one of my relative has PR but no direct relationship as mentioned above?
    They are my wifes mother siter's daughter. relationship will be my wifes sister(cousin). Can I mention them in my application?

    My wife brother also working in Canada, but his PR is in process, can I state any where about them in application?

    1. Cousins are not mentioned above. So, you can not add FSW points at your adaptability.

      Relatives should be a PR or Canadian Citizen. So, her brother is not included also. You can read my Red Maple Leaf for further information about relatives.

  2. Hi Ben,

    I am applying as main applicant and my wife as dependent.
    Do I need to fill statutory declaration of common-law union form, which is there in application package?


    1. Common-law is a relationship between unmarried couple. We also call it Live-in partners. If you are legally married, you don't need to submit this form, then put an X mark on the corresponding box at the Checklist.

  3. Hi Ben,
    Additional family Information form, IMM5406E.
    I think this has to complete by me and my wife.
    In my wife application in sec A, applicant under relationship will be my wife name or main applicant name(my name?


  4. Hi Ben,

    Please reply to above question, Additional family information for (IMM5406E) has to filled
    one for me and my spouse, rite?
    In my wife form, sec A, applicant name should be my name or my wife name ( i am main applicant)?
    And I have to write in English and native script as separate forms for each applicant?

    sorry, this is little confusing. sorry to trouble you.

    1. Whoever writes his/her relative at the information provided, he/she will be the principal applicant.

      For you, the first form is you, as the principal and write all your relatives provided at the form. The second copy, the principal is your wife and write all the relatives provided.

      If you have a native language used, provide another form and fill it up in your native scripts.

  5. Great article. Thanks for the info, you made it easy to understand. BTW, if anyone needs to fill out a “ISMP Universal Medication Form”, I found a blank fillable form here: I also saw some decent tutorials on how to fill it out.


Ben Alagnam - MeMovingToCanada