MM2C Podcast by Ben Alagnam

SEARCH the Related FSW Canada Topics HERE!

29 March 2017

Job and Business Options in Ontario Canada

Having a job right after landing is an immigrant primary goal.  It will provide constant cash flow to the family.  Incoming bills like groceries, telephone, apartment rentals, and etc. It’ll be taken care of.

Unfortunately, some newcomers can't find jobs immediately and may result in anxiety and depression.  This is unhealthy for the whole family.  It will cause chaos and eventually leads to the couple's breakup.

This post is to give you insights on how to begin your healthy financial life in Canada.  Here are the options to do that.
Small factories on my way home from work.
Agency Jobs 
Assuming you haven't found any job at the first 3 days.  Go ahead and accept the offer from job agencies.  Even if the pay is minimum, grab it! 

You need to have an employer who will provide you a letter of reference.  It is mostly required in renting an apartment.  Some agencies pay workers in Cash or in Checks, I suggest to get the latter.  Checks come with payslips, which is good as an employment record and can later be used for other purposes.

It’s good to have a salary; minimum is good, while waiting for the perfect job.

Working as an assembler in a faucet company made me confident and motivated in living a new life in Canada.  It somehow removed a bit of my qualms.  Knowing that my family have a constant cash flow, I could sleep well at night.

Part-time jobs are always available in Toronto.  You can work in pizza chains such as this.



















Part-time Jobs
If you are now working on a full-time job but the pay is scarce, get a part-time job.  It will provide you an additional income. 

Although part-time jobs help you provide food on the plate, it consumes your quality time with your family.  But with a proper time management with your wife and kids, everything will be in place.

I have a friend who has two jobs working 12 hours a day, one 8-hr full-time job in a factory and 4 hours in Walmart.  Others work for 16 hours per day. Yes, it's unbelievable, but it exists.

I didn’t try to do part time jobs in Walmart or Tim’s.  Time with my kids is limited because I have to take care of them after work.  That’s my part-time job, really.

Business 
How good it is to have your own business in Canada.  You will handle your own time.  You are your own boss. 

Having a business in Canada requires a lot of cash.  There’s an option to borrow money from the bank. For newcomers, no assets or credit history, it’s difficult to get a loan. 

How much do you need? 

Well, depending on the business, you may need a minimum of $50,000 to a million.   You also need to have a feasibility study in order to measure a viable business.  Considering hiring employees? It’s pricy.

If you have the capital as a newcomer, then go ahead build your business.  You can start any business you want.  Start with low initial capital and expand sooner as you get the feel of it.

I was really thinking about it and back when I was in the Philippines.  I have experienced in doing business back then and so was hoping to build one in Canada.  Due to a hefty amount of money involved, I decided to look for other options.

Independent Business in Financial Services
This option is applicable for full-time and part-time workers.  It gives you freedom to do it your way. The reason why it’s called independent is because of doing it without a boss. The opportunity to earn more than the corporate salary is staggering.

Even if you’re working from 9am to 5pm, you still can do the business part-time.  As you grow the business, it will eventually overcome your full-time job salary and eventually quit the job.

Unlike having a business with a high cost of initial capital, this business doesn’t need a lot.  You can start by licensing in the financial regulators and buying office equipments. Being one of the most regulated industry in Canada, which is investments and life protection, it requires you to be licensed in order for you to sell the products.

I was very lucky to have been involved in this business.  It was introduced to me a week after we landed on 2014.  I gained a lot of knowledge regarding financial matters and I‘ve seen the whole picture of Canadian investments.  Net and I are doing this business until now and both are licensed to sell these financial products in Ontario.  

You can email me if you’re interested in this kind of business.

What option to keep?
Whatever you choose in these four types of income opportunity, the most important thing is being happy doing it.  If you’re not, grab another one.

You’re the only one who can control your own destiny wherever you are in Canada. 


Is the information useful? Please tick the Like button below.
__________________________________
If you want me to post a certain topic,  you can leave a comment below or email me at benalagnam@yahoo.com.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by BenAlagnam's FeedBurner

HAVE MORE ON THIS BLOG
 EMAIL    RESOURCES      ASK ME    ARCHIVE    SUGGEST


-->

2 comments:

dexter said...

Hi Ben,

Since the time me and my wife are arranging papers for our PR application, your blog is one of our favorites. Thank God that we arrive safe and sound together with our son last December 2016.

We currently live in Newfoundland and Labrador and luckily, I landed a part-time job at one of the biggest financial institutions here in Canada. After my first week at work, I was offered by my manager to take IFIC course, which is shouldered by the company. I immediately grabbed it. Reading this post of yours, may I ask if this will help me a lot to achieve the said Independent Business as Financial Services after I passed the IFIC exam? Or is it not related on what you are telling?

Please email me as I am so interested with this kind of business. Thank you very much and more power Ben.

Dex

Ben Alagnam said...

Hi Dex, not sure if we are distributing the same product here. Please email me to discuss more. My email is at the bottom of the post.

Ben Alagnam - MeMovingToCanada